Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Beauty Roundup: 3 Green Body Care Products

Good-for-you beauty products help your natural beauty shine through.
(Photo © istockphoto/iconogenic)


As the saying goes, “You are what you eat.” But what about the products you put on your body?

While I was working as the Senior Editor of Spa magazine, a beauty expert turned me on to The Garlic Experiment: Peel a clove of garlic, crush it up, and put it between your toes. Then wait about 30 minutes. You should be able to taste the garlic in your mouth. Pretty crazy, huh?

The first time I tried the experiment, it really got me thinking about what I put on my skin. After all, if my skin could absorb garlic after one 30-minute test, just think about all of the other things it’s absorbing on a daily basis—makeup, lotion, facial cleanser, toner, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner … the list goes on.

I revamped my beauty closet shortly after that, and I've been extra conscious about checking labels ever since. (The Dirty Dozen list of cosmetic chemicals to avoid from the David Suzuki Foundation is a great guide if you’re not sure what to look for.) Below are three earth- and people-friendly beauty essentials I can’t live without:




Kimberly Parry Organics Learn to Love It Kit: If you’re the type of person that likes the simplicity of the Clinique 3-step regimen, then you will appreciate this Clean, Tone, and Moisturize kit. Parry’s products are all made to order and carry the USDA Organic seal.


Red Flower Cleansing Body Wash: All Red Flower purifying body washes are created from essential oils and botanicals, but my favorite is Italian Blood Orange. The citrusy scent is uplifting, and I can rest assured knowing that I’m being kind to my body (and the environment) with each preservative-free wash!



Lotus Wei Balancing Serum: This serum is made for the face and is steeped in regenerative calendula flowers, but I highly recommend it as a body oil to soothe your skin and your spirit. My go-to “mood” is Inner Peace, though the point is to pick the one you’re most attracted to. A bonus tip: Massage Inner Peace Serum on your ankles and feet before going to bed for an extra relaxing sleep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment